Ghosts are limited time popable characters which were added to the game with the Treehouse of Horror XXIV Event in October 2013. When a ghost is tapped by the player, they will receive GOO, and in some cases the player will also receive a Gremlin to place in a friend's Springfield, and on even rarer occasions, one donut may be found.
The Frightems were collected by logging on daily and popping Ghosts.
The frightems are:
- From Wednesday: Flaming Hoop
"A flaming hoop! I better save this in case someday I get poodles that want to jump through things."
- From Thursday: Barbell
"This barbell will come in handy if I ever have two side-by-side stacks of giant paper that I need to stop blowing away."
- From Friday: Leotard
"This leotard will be great for attending classes of that new exercise I invented…Pie-lates."
- From Saturday: Ring Master Top Hat
"A circus Ringmaster’s hat. This will be useful next time I need to boss around an acrobat."
On Sunday, players who collected all the items had to answer a trivia question: “What item of Moe’s does Homer covet in this season's Treehouse of Horrors Episode?” and choose the correct answer: An Emerald Ring. Answering the question correctly gave the player 10 free Donuts and the Homer Strongman costume.
There are 3 ways to get rid of ghosts. The first method was available at the beginning of the event while the other two had to be unlocked.
- Individual Clicking - The most common method, click on ghosts to pop them.
- Vaccum Tool - Unlocked as a personal prize, use the vaccum to suck up ghosts.
- Ghost Bomb - Unlocked as a community prize, use the bombs to blow up ghosts.
- Ghosts seek justice by possessing characters, causing them to turn pale and float slightly above the ground with a blank, open-mouthed facial expression. The player can exorcise the ghost by tapping the character, which turns them back to normal.
- If a Ghost possesses a character doing a visual job, the character will invert the texture of the character to the normal and flying.
- The Mastodon ghosts only appear after you have finished the Ancient Burial Ground (quest chain).